In Old Norse, áss (or ǫ́ss, ás, plural æsir, feminine ásynja, feminine plural ásynjur) is the term denoting a member of the principal groups of gods of the pantheon of Norse paganism. They include many of the major figures, such as Odin, Frigg, Thor, Baldr and Tyr. They are one of the two groups of gods, the other being the Vanir. In Norse mythology, the two are described as having waged war against one another in the Æsir-Vanir War, resulting in the unification of the two into a single tribe of gods.
- Odin is the greatest and oldest of the Æsir. He is their leader and is husband of Frigg. He is the son of Bor and giantess Bestla. Bor wasa the son of Buri (the first god) and a giantess
- Thor is Odin's first and oldest son by Jord (the Earth giantess). He is married to Sif
- Baldr is Odin's second son and son of Friig. He is the god of light and beauty.He is husband of Nanna and father of Forseti. He is killed by Hodr (tricked by Loki) and avenged by Vali
- Tyr is the god of war and many warriors pray to him for victory in battle. His hand was bitten off by the Fenris Wolf. He is the son of Odin and the goddess Saga
- Bragi is the god of poetry and skaldship. He is husband of Idunn and son of Odin and Frigg
- Hoder is the son of Odin and twin brother of Baldr. Hodr was blind. He killed Baldr unknowingly (he was manipulated by Loki) and was in turn killed by Vali
- Heimdall is the son of Odin and the nine wave goddesses, daughters of Aegir the sea-giant and Ran. He guards the Bifrost bridge and at Ragnarok will blow the Gjallarhorn to signal the beginning of battle, where he will kill and be killed by Loki
- Ullr is the son of Sif and an unknown giant. He is step-son of Thor and is god of skii-ing and archery. After Skadi married Njord, the sea god, she was unhappy and left for her wintery mountain home. She eventually married Ullr.
- Hodr is the twin brother of Balder. He is blind and usually was neglected. He was participating in a game when Loki tricked him into killing Balder with a dart of misletoe. He was killed by Vali.
- Hoenir is a son of Odin. After the Aesir-Vanir war, he was sent to Vanaheim to become chief of that pantheon of gods.
- Hermod is a messenger god and son of Odin. He was tasked with riding to Niflheim to beg for the return of Balder to the realm of the living.
- Vidar is the son of giantess Grid (violence) and Odin. He is the second strongest asa
- Vali is the son of Odin and Rind (a Russian princess). His sole purpose on Earth was to avenge Baldr by killing Hodr.
- Forseti is the son of Baldr and Nanna. He is the god of judgement
- Loki is actually a giant (son of giant Farbauti and giantess Laufey. He is the trickster god and god of fire
- Vili is the brother of Odin and god of intelligence and the sense of touch, giving these to the first humans (Ask and Embla)
- Ve is the brother of Odin and god of countenance (appearance, facial expression), speech, hearing, and sight
- Mani is the god of the moon and was create by Odin and his brothers
- Magni is the son of Thor and Sif
- Modi is the brother of Magni and both are gods of strength
- Hjuki was a mortal who was carried p by Mani (along with his sister Bil) and now follows him across the sky
- Frigg is the wife of Odin and daughter of the giants.
- Saga is the goddess of poetry, poetic arts and history. Her father is Odin and her mother is an unknown giantess
- Eir is the goddess of magical healing and daughter of Frigg and Odin. Eir knew the secret powers of herbs, with which she could even resurrect the dead
- Gefjun is the goddess of maidens and daughter of Odin and Frigg. Those who die maids become her hand-maidens
- Fulla is sister of Gefjun and is Frigg's hand-maiden
- Sjofn is the goddess of love and daughter of Frigg and Odin
- Lofn is the sister of Sjofn and is another goddess of love
- Var is the daughter of Odin and Frigg and is goddess of oaths and promises
- Vor is the daughter of Frigg and Odin and is so wise that nothing can be concealed from her
- Syn is the sister of Vor and Var. She guards the door of the hall, and closes it against to those who are not to enter
- Hlin guards those men whom Frigg wants to protect from any danger and is Frigg's daughter
- Snotra , who is wise and courtly, is the daughter of Frigg
- Sol is the goddess of the sun and was created by Odin and his brothers along with Mani
- Gna , whom Frigg sends on her errands into various worlds
- Bil was a mortal who was carried p by Mani (along with her brother Hjuki) and now follows him across the sky
- Idunn is the daughter of Odin and Frigg, wife of Bragi and owner of the Apples of Eternal Youth
- Sif is the wife of Thor and mother of Magni and Modi
- Thrud is the daughter of Thor and the giantess Jarnsaxa
- Nanna is the daughter of Nep (giant) and an unknown giantess. She is the wife of Baldr
- Sigyn is the wife of Loki. She is of unknown parentage.
See Also Edit
|Norse mythology articles|
|Major Deities||Odin | Thor | Freyr | Freya | Frigg | Loki | Balder | Tyr ||
|Races||Æsir | Vanir | Giants | Elves | Dwarves | Valkyries | Einherjar | Norns|
|Worlds||Álfheimr | Asgard | Jötunheimr | Midgard | Muspelheim | Niðavellir | Niflheim | Svartálfaheim | Vanaheimr|
|Locations||Bifröst | Utgard | Valhalla|
|Topics||Yggdrasil | Ginnungagap | Ragnarök | Poetic Edda | Prose Edda | The Sagas ||