|Mythology|| Norse mythology|
The mythology and legends of many different cultures include monsters of human or humanoid appearance, but prodigious in size and strength. "Giant" is the English word commonly used for such beings, derived from one of the most famed examples: the gigantes of Greek mythology.
In various Indo-European mythologies, gigantic peoples are featured as primeval creatures associated with chaos and the wild nature, and they are frequently in conflict with the gods, be they Olympian or Norse.
There are also other stories featuring giants in the Old Testament, perhaps most famously Goliath. Attributed to them are superhuman strength and physical proportions, a long lifespan, and thus a great deal of knowledge as well.
- Gigantes, Greco-Roman children of Gaia
- Jötnar, the Norse giants
In Popular Culture
- Giants are seen in the "Harry Potter" book series, particularly Hagrid, a half-giant.
- Giants appear in the "Percy Jackson", "Heroes of Olympus" (series is mainly based of the war with giants) and the "Magnus Chase" series by Rick Riordan.
- A race of giants are seen in "Attack on Titan" as giant humans that attack humans. They are revealed to be former humans turned into Titans through unknown means.
- Giants are seen in the film adaptation of the "Harry Potter" novels, particularly Hagrid.
- The giants known as Titans appear in the film adaptation of the manga series "Attack on Titan".
- Giants appear in the film Jack the Giant Slayer. They attack a kingdom after being freed from their prison in the sky by climbing down a giant beanstalk.
|Norse mythology articles|
|Major Deities||Odin | Thor | Freyr | Freyja | Frigg | Loki | Baldr | Týr | Njörðr|
|Races||Æsir | Vanir | Jötunn | Elves | Dwarves | Valkyries | Einherjar | Norns|
|Realms||Álfheimr | Asgard | Jötunheimr | Midgard | Muspelheim | Niðavellir | Niflheim | Svartálfaheim | Vanaheimr|
|Abodes||Breidablik | Fólkvangr | Þrúðheimr | Utgard | Valhalla|
|Topics||Æsir-Vanir War | Ginnungagap | Poetic Edda | Prose Edda | Ragnarök | The Sagas | Yggdrasil|
|Greek mythology articles|
|Deities||Aphrodite • Apollo • Ares • Artemis • Athena • Demeter • Dionysus • Hephaestus • Hera • Hermes • Poseidon • Zeus|
|Heroes||Abderus • Bellerophon • Daedalus • Diomedes • Achilles • Cadmus • Heracles • Perseus • Odysseus • Orpheus • Theseus • Jason • Argonauts|
|Groups||Demigod • God • Titans • Graeae • Gorgons • Protogenoi|
|Creatures and monsters||Chimera • Centaur • Charybdis • Cyclops • Ceryneian Hind • Cretan Bull • Empusa • Erinyes • Erymanthian Boar • Minotaur • Typhon • Medusa • Makhai • Lernaean Hydra • Pegasus • More...|
|Titans||Atlas • Coeus • Crius • Cronus • Epimetheus • Gaia • Helios • Iapetos • Pallas • Perses • Prometheus • Oceanus • Hyperion • Rhea • Styx|
|Topics||Titanomachy • Overthrowing of Ouranus|