The Krakens are aquatic monsters that originated from Norse mythology and have been said to dwell off the shores of Norway and Greenland. They are often depicted as gigantic octopi (or sometimes squids) that attack sailing ships. It is said that the Kraken would surface at Ragnarök. The Kraken legends and lore have been believed to have originated from giant squid sightings. Though giant squids live a great depths, they reportedly have attacked ships on the surface.
In Popular CultureEdit
- In DC Comics
- A Kraken monster first appears in Adventure Comics #56.
- A land-based Kraken appears in Flash Comics #81.
- A giant octopus appears in Showcase #12, being encountered by the Challengers of the Unknown.
- Aquaman, in Aquaman #34, summons a giant squid
- Wonder Woman #247 and #289 featured additional versions, and in Wonder Woman vol. 2 #75 the character encountered a version complete with tiara in a dream dimension.
- A race of reptilian sea monsters that inhabit Earth's sea in the 853rd century are named the "Krakens of Vexjor" in Aquaman #1,000,000.
- In the 2011 comic Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies in Issue #1, Wonder Woman and Aquaman encounter a young kraken.
- In the Fawcett Comics comic Whiz Comics #155, Captain Marvel battles a Kraken that claims to be the same one from the folklore.
- In Clash of the Titans, the Kraken appears as a giant, four-armed humanoid with scales and a fishtail. It is the pet of Poseidon, and Zeus orders it to destroy Argos to punish Acrisius, the king of Argos, from casting his wife and Perseus into the sea. In the 2010 remake, it lacks a fishtail and bears a strong resmblance to the Aqrabuamelu of Mesopotamian mythology.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the Kraken followed the orders of Davy Jones.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, the Kraken was beached on the orders of Davy Jones.
In Video GamesEdit
- In the Final Fantasy series, a recurring enemy called Krakens appear as human and cephalopod hybrids.
- In the 1994/1995 game EarthBound, snake-like sea enemies called Krakens appear in the Sea of Eden. A stronger variation called Bionic Krakens later appears in the Cave of the Past.
- In the 1998 game The Ocean Hunter, a giant octopus boss named after the Kraken appears in the Baroque Sea with a bounty of 5,000 G.
- In the 2002 game Age of Mythology, a Kraken appears as an enemy in the campaign. It can be summoned through the worship of Njord.
- In the 2006 game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, the Kraken from Earth-6109 appears, being summoned by Loki.
- In the 2007 game God of War II, the Kraken appears as a boss at the Island of Creation.
- In the 2010 game Heroes of Newerth, the Kraken appears.
- In the 2012 game Kid Icarus: Uprising, a boss called the Space Kraken appears.
- In the 2013 game Disney INFINITY, a kraken was a boss of the Pirates of the Caribbean playset.