Drawing of a Viking Age gold-plated silver Mjölnir pendant (length 4.6 cm) found at Bredsätra in Öland, Sweden, now kept in the Swedish Museum of National Antiquities
|Capabilities||Thunder, Lightning, Storms|
|“||Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.||”|
-Odin's enchantment (Marvel comics)
The Mjölnir, also known as Mjolnir (or Mjollnir), prenounced "MYOL-neer", is a heavy mystic hammer forged by dwarf smiths known as Brokkr and Eitri, which were the sons of Sindri. The hammer is wielded by the Norse god of thunder, Thor.
The Mjölnir plays a major role on the 2011 Marvel Entertainment's super-hero film Thor.
Characteristics and abilities
- The Mjölnir is described as being one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of levelling mountains.
- After Thor used the hammer and tossed it against a target, the hammer would levitate by itself, returning to Thor.
- Thor could also cast and then generate lightning with Mjölnir.
- The hammer could destroy, but also revive animals or people or even create.
- The hammer could also be magically shrunken to fit inside Thor’s shirt.
The hammer was used in sacred ceremonies of both birth and death.
Freyja refused to marry Thrym and instead Thor dressed as Freyja. The Jötunns didn't realize Freyja wasn't Freyja, even when s(he) ate 3 pigs, and drank 4 barrels of mead . Thor still married the Jötunn and when Mjölnir was brought out to bless the newly-weds Thor took his hammer back and killed the surprised Jötunns.
Most of the various craft based on the Mjölnir, share the celtic symbol of charm, or commonly known as Triquetra.
- The figure and depiction of the hammer was also used to craft other items, such as pendants.
In Popular Culture
- In Marvel Comics' Ultimate universe titles, Thor uses an axe version of the Mjölnir. Just as the original version of the hammer, this axe model is able to channel electricity, primarily naturally generated lightnings.
- The axe version of the Mjolnir appears again, used by Thor on the animated feature film Ultimate Avengers.
- The axe version of the Mjolnir is used by Thor against the Chitauri in Ultimate Avengers 2.
- The Mjölnir appears on the 2011 film Thor. In the film, the hammer is stripped from Thor, who has become unworthy of it, and, as such, Thor must struggle to learn a lesson of humility and responsibility while being just human, to be worthy of Mjölnir and use it to defeat his evil, adoptive brother, Loki, and the Destroyer. In the movie, it is described as being as heavy as a thousand earths to those unworthy, and as light as a feather to those who are worthy. Also, Darcy mispronounces its name as "myeh-myeh".
- Marvel's Thor uses the hammer again against Iron Man, Captain America and the hordes of Chitauri on 2012 film The Avengers.
- Unsourced accounts state the Mjölnir was only able to be lifted by Thor, strong enough beings or beings who are worthy of the hammer, though it is not specified in what aspects a being needs to be worthy to lift or wield the hammer.
- ↑ (Thor, 2011 film)
- ↑ ([Online Dictionary])
- ↑ (Ultimates #4, 2002)
- ↑ (Ultimate Avengers)
- ↑ (Ultimate Avengers 2)
- ↑ (Avengers, 2012 film)