Mount Olympus (/oʊˈlɪmpəs, ə-/; Greek: Όλυμπος Olympos, for Modern Greek also transliterated Olimbos, [ˈolimbos] or [ˈolibos]) is the highest mountain in Greece. It is located in the Olympus Range on the border between Thessaly and Macedonia, between the regional units of Pieria and Larissa, about 80 km (50 mi) southwest from Thessaloniki. Mount Olympus has 52 peaks, deep gorges, and exceptional biodiversity. The highest peak, Mytikas, meaning "nose", rises to 2,918 metres (9,573 ft). It is one of the highest peaks in Europe in terms of topographic prominence.
Olympus was notable in Greek mythology as the home of the Greek gods, on the Mytikas peak. Mount Olympus is also noted for its very rich flora, with several species. It has been a National Park, the first in Greece, since 1938. It is also a World Biosphere Reserve.
Every year, thousands of people visit Olympus to admire its fauna and flora, tour its slopes, and reach its peaks. Organized mountain refuges and various mountaineering and climbing routes are available to visitors who want to explore it. The usual starting point is the town of Litochoro, on the eastern foothills of the mountain, 100 km from Thessaloniki, where, in the beginning of every summer, the Olympus Marathon terminates.
According to Greek mythology, it serves as the home to most of the Olympians as well as various other demi-gods, however, in contrast with gods, the demi-gods must earn their place in Olympus by completing several missions or labours.
- Zeus - King of the gods and God of Thunder.
- Hera - Queen of the gods and Goddess of Marriage.
- Poseidon - God of the Sea.
- Demeter - Goddess of the Harvest.
- Athena - Goddess of Wisdom.
- Apollo - God of the Sun.
- Artemis - Goddess of the Hunt.
- Ares - God of War.
- Aphrodite - Goddess of Love.
- Hephaestus - God of Fire.
- Hermes - Messenger of the gods.
- Dionysus - God of Wine.
In Popular CultureEdit
- Mount Olympus appears in the 2010 film Clash of the Titans.
- Mount Olympus appears in Clash of the Titans: The Videogame.
- Mount Olympus Appears In The God Of War Video Game Series