|Parents||Poseidon and Medusa|
|This subject is also available on|
The Pegasus was a mythological horse from Greek mythology. It was supposedly a dazzling, white horse with two, great, feathery wings sprouting from its back. It was said to be the son of Poseidon and Medusa.
After the hero Perseus slew the gorgon, Medusa, the blood that flowed from her neck spread over the ground and from it formed grassy fields and gushing rivers; beautiful trees and singing birds also came, and finally, Pegasus. The Greeks say that Pegasus flew from the isle afterwards towards the mountain Helicon, where he was watched over by the Muses. (Analternation of the story is similar as it states Pegasus was formed when the blood of Medusa met the sea foam, thus meaning that Medusa was the mother and Poseidon the father).
Pegasus is also said to have a human brother, Chrysaor, who married the Ocean nymph Callihroe and was the father of Geryon, the three headed monster that was slain by Heracles as part of his tenth labour. Geryon had a dog Orthrus, which was said to be the brother of Cerberus.
Some years passed before Athena found Pegasus and presented him to the Greek hero, Bellerophon. She also gave Bellerophon a golden bridle, or harness, to tame Pegasus. While Pegasus was grazing on the banks of a stream, Bellerophon threw the golden bridle over Pegasus's head to tame him. Once he was tamed, Bellerophon and the winged equine became thick friends and galloped over the seven seas and the mountains. It is said that Pegasus could gallop faster than the wind. So while riding on Pegasus, Bellerophon conquered the Chimera, a large three-headed monster.
However, success made Bellerophon an arrogant person. He wanted to fly up to Mount Olympus, the abode of the gods that lived there. Zeus, the king of gods, punished the insolent man by causing him to fall off the steed. However, the gods of Mount Olympus welcomed Pegasus and He became the favorite horse of Zeus and carried the weapons of Zeus. As a reward for his service, Zeus created a constellation for the winged equine in the night sky of the earth.
In Popular Culture
- The black Pegasus makes a cameo on the one-shot digital comic Clash of the Titans: Prequel Comic.
- Perseus appears along with his white Pegasus in the comic book series Wrath of the Titans, published by Bluewater Comics.
- The Pegasus appears again on the 3 parter, comic book Wrath of the Titans: Revenge of Medusa.
- Marvel's Avenger Valkyrie has a personal Pegasus which is used as a method of transportation.
- Perseus rides a white Pegasus in the 1981 epic fantasy film Clash of the Titans.
- Perseus manage to ride the black Pegasus in the 2010 remake of the 1981 film, Clash of the Titans.
- Pegasus appears in the 1997 Disney film Hercules voiced by Frank Welker and other Disney productions.
- The black Pegasus appears again on the Clash of the Titans (2010) sequel, Wrath of the Titans.
- In the Barbie Series Barbie and The Magic of Pegasus ,Pegasus seen as the main Character which help Barbie on the mission
- Perseus appears along with the black Pegasus in Clash of the Titans: The Videogame.
- Perseus rides the black Pegasus on the online micro-game Titans Attack, on the official site for the 2012 film Wrath of the Titans.
- Argos frees the Pegasus from Selene's temple and rides him in Hero of Sparta II.
- The hero Orpheus uses a harp to summon the Pegasus in the side-scrolling video game The Battle of Olympus.
- Pegasus appears in Scribblenauts games.
- On the hit sci-fi tv series Stargate: Atlantis, the humans send an expedition to the Pegasus Galaxy, all the personnel who travels to that galaxy have on their uniforms, an insignia resembling a Pegasus.
- On the hit kids series Beyblade Metal Fusion\Metal Masters the main charater Gingka Hagane owns a spinning top named after Pegasus called Storm Pegasus and as of Metal Masters Galaxy Pegasus