He only appears in two myths. One in which he comes to collect the soul of King Sisyphus but ends up being captured before being released by Ares. Another time he was trying to take the soul of Queen Alcestis, However Heracles owed them debt of gratitude to her and her husband and wrestled Thanatos in return for their kindness.
Thantos is often seen as a bearded, winged, man and somtimes as a winged youth. He is rarley seen without his twin.
According to myth if Thanatos cut your hair with his sword, you will die. His symbols are a sword, an upsidown torch, and a butterfly. ψυχή (psyche), the Greek word for butterfly, can also mean soul, or life.
In Popular CultureEdit
Thanatos appears in the Kid Icarus series and Shin Megami Tensei series of video games:
- Thanatos appears as Tanatos in the original Kid Icarus. He was originally a snake on Medusa's head. He is Medusa's second in command.
- He returns in Kid Icarus: Uprising.
- He made his first appearance in Shin Megami Tensei: Megami Ibunroku Persona, the first of the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, as a boss on the Snow Queen quest.
- His most prominent role in the Megami Tensei series was as the Ultimate form of the Death arcana and the first actual persona that the main character summons
- He is of the Shinigami (God of Death) clan in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoners
In Video Games