|Title(s)||God of preservation|
|Mount||Garuda (bird), Ananta, (naga)|
Vishnu took on ten major forms called the Dashavatars to preserve humanity and balance.
- Matsya, a fish who saved the life of Manu, the first man
- Kurma, a turtle that helped the gods and demons churn the ocean for the nectar of immortality
- Varaha, a boar that kills Hiranyaksha, who stole Prithvi (the earth goddess) in her form of a cow
- Narasimha, a lion-man who kills Hiranyakashipu, brother of Hiraniyaksha
- Vamana, a dwarf who regains the three realms (heaven, earth and hell) from the demon king Bali
- Parashurama, a sage who killed the Ksatriyas
- Rama, a prince who defeats Ravana, the demon king of Sri Lanka
- Krishna, who fought in the Kurukshetra War
- Buddha, who founded Buddhism
- Kalki, whose coming will signal the end of our time period and the destruction of evil
Other avatars include his only female avatar, Mohini.
In Popular CultureEdit
- Vishnu appears in the ongoing comic series God is Dead, published by Avatar Press.
Films and TelevisionEdit
- In a teaser trailer of Godzilla (2014), J. Robert Oppenheimer speaks of Vishnu. In it, an unidentifiable monster is shown lying on the ground, looking similar to a centipede.
|Gods and Goddesses of Hindu mythology|
|Trimurti||Creation: Brahma • Destruction: Shiva • Preservation: Vishnu|
|Tridevi||Wisdom: Saraswati • Motherhood: Parvati • Prosperity: Lakshmi|
|Main Devas||King: Indra • Sun: Surya • Moon: Chandra • Fire: Agni • Wind: Vayu • Ocean: Varuna • Sky: Dyaus • War: Murugan • Wealth: Kubera • Love: Kama • Death: Yama • Rain: Parjanya • Remover of Obstacles: Ganesh|
|Other Devas||Recorder of Fate: Chitragupta • Counsellor to Gods: Brihaspati • Architect of the Universe: Vishvakarman|
|Navagrahas||Sun: Surya • Moon: Chandra • Mercury: Budha • Venus: Shani • Mars: Mangala • Jupiter: Brihaspati • Saturn: Shukra|
|Main Devis||Earth/Nature: Prithvi • Love: Ratri • Dawn: Ushas • Night: Rati|
|Other Devis||Mother of the Gods: Aditi • Dusk: Saranyu • Death: Yami • Beauty: Sachi • River Ganges: Ganga|
|Avatars of Vishnu|
|Avatars||Matsya • Kurma • Varaha • Narasimha • Vamana • Parashurama • Rama • Krishna • Buddha or Balarama • Kalki|